Friday, January 18, 2008

Phew ! Finally, I managed to find some time off to blog. Have been really busy ever since I got back from both LA and Taipei. Though I have only 3 days in Singapore before jetting off to Perth, CF and I made a very last minute decision to fly to Hong Kong for a shopping spree. That explains why I am not in Singapore for like almost 2 weeks.

Met up with Gin, Jeff and Bern today for a simple Japanese dinner @ Liang Court. Haven't seen Gin for like half a year since he was in Vancouver then and only get back a week ago. When we first saw him, we were shocked to see his hair. His hair has grown much longer and thicker...just like erm.... F4 ???


Next to leave Singapore would be Jeff and Bernard who will be embarking on their 5 months exchange program in Zurich this February. Gonna miss them....Nevertheless, I may still get a chance to see them in Switzerland before they head back. Besides, I still have JL in Copenhagen and Alvin in Poland. Well, just pray hard that I could go to these cities to meet them before they come home. As one knows, the feeling of seeing someone familiar overseas and able to enjoy a meal, talk cock session and sightseeing with them is totally different from meeting them in our homeland. Friends will forever be friends. You guys will be missed even though it will be just half a year.

Although I do travel around frequently, I do envy those who are able to study and stay in a foreign land for a few months. The friends u make, the new things u get to see and learn, the independence and the experience one gets is priceless. It do somehow make one grow more mature and sensible. Also able to travel with a few buddies from cities to cities like what those competitors in Amazing Race ( of course not in a competitive way ) did is something I long yearn for. If only I am still studying in Uni...if only.

Perth...my first time there. Did not venture anywhere except to the nearby foodcourt for a simple lunch with some of my colleagues. Wanted to go to Fremantle initially and that some of my colleagues have expressed interest, the fatigue in me, however, made me forgo the idea. Haven't been sleeping well for the past 3 days and was really very tired when I reached Perth that morning. No choice, I make sure I try to go Fremantle on my next trip...if time permits that is.

See what I bought from Perth for my family ...




Yes, it's the famous Apple Strudel from Corica in Perth. I was hesitating initially when they were asking me if I wanted to place an order. Firstly, I am not an apple strudel fan and haven't been eating it for like a decade ? Secondly, it doesn't come cheap ( about S$22 per box ) and I only have limited cash with me to last for the whole trip. Nevertheless, I was glad that I made the right choice. The apple strudel is really nice...fluffy and not that sweet and it just melts in ur mouth...wooosh... and my family love it. I love it too.

Now, back to my 3 days Hong Kong Shopping Spree. The decision to go HK was made at the very last minute....we only booked our air ticket the day before we left and our accomodation about 10 hours before arrival in HK. That's really a mad rush for me cosidering the fact that I have a few errands to run and I have no intention initially to go HK during my 3 off days. Not mentally prepared. However, the idea of eating my favourite dim sum and wanton noodles, shopping at my favourite place and going with one of my buddies made me forgo some of the things I need to do in SIN and join him in HK.



We HEART Kispy Kreme... bought these doughnuts from HK airport before we left for Kowloon. Very Oiishiii and the original glaze ones were superb...just melt in ur mouth...a must try. I only managed to eat my two original ones before it became CF's supper on the 2nd night...hahaha...oh man, that boy is growing. Anyway, he strongly recommended the New York Cheesecake one...I will give it a try when I go to Dubai end of this month. So will we get to eat Krispy Kreme in Singapore in the near future ??? How I wish we could...


Our simple, clean and humble hostel room...


Just nice for the both of us and it's very affordable. We each paid about S$70 for 2 nights. Though the room and the bathroom was very small ( anyway its HK standard ), we did sleep well for the 2 nights. Fortunately I booked this hostel in advance when CF suggested a walk in instead. There were no vacancies when we arrived !!! Hahahaha...I booked the last room hours ago...Phew!!! Wanted to stay in my usual Dragon Hostel in Mongkok but were fully booked. No choice but to book this hostel in Chungking Mansions. Wouldn't mind giving it a try. I like the location ( in TST and just next to MTR ) and the room ( clean and spotless ) but I hate the 'lobby' of the building !!! FYI, Chungking Mansion has lots of hostels and shops and so its very crowded at the lobby. It's kind of messy. You will see many people trying to pull those tourists to their hostels and it's not uncommon to see people surrounding the helpless tourists negotiating with them. The worse is, there are 2 lifts...each serving different floors. The left one serves only the even floors while the right one, the odd floors. The lift itself was very 'big' and can fit only 6-7 people each time without any baggage and one has to stand very close to one another like in a sardine can. Clastrophobic. The wait can be very irritating depending on the queue. Overall I would rate this 4/5...thanks to the super clean and neat room n bathroom.


Enough of the room...now comes the mouth watering food :


The QQ Wanton noodles...really nice. As mentioned before, the prawn dumpling here is really big n crunchy with big succulent prawns in them unlike the ones u find in SIN.


Our All-time Favourite food joint : Dim Sum @ Chao Inn. Affordable and really delicious, making you asking for more :P


Dessert @ Tang Dynasty...The very smooth and light beancurd that slipped down ur throat effortlessly.


Stop by this Gong He Tang in Causeway Bay to have a bowl of Guiling Gao. Did not put any honey or sugared syrup...tasted a bit bitter but it was nice. CF couldn't take the bitterness and gave up after a couple of bites. Bought this bottle of herbal drink to reduce the heatiness in me and it tasted really bad and bitter making me nearly puke after one big gulp. Gave up after 1/4 of the bottle...boo to me :(

Our Shopping ...


A Happy & Satisfied CF after getting his two shirts from FCUK at a very reasonable price.

The winner of the day...I guess I overspent...Bought lots of jackets, shirts, belts, shoes and jeans...Total Damage : Approx. S$ 1200. Could have been more if not for CF who stopped me...Thanks bud. Ouch ! Ouch ! Ouch ! Broke.... :(

I will miss this sight... Hong Kong... I feel so at home.

As what CF pointed out, we always shop at our usual place in Kowloon, there are actually more to shop on HK Island. So for our next unexpected HKG trip, we will hop over to HK Island and do our shopping. WooooHoooo.... I HEART Hong Kong !!!!!

Aiya, realise I have no time for my long overdue Universal Studios and Taipei adventures....next entry then...Sorry peeps.

No comments: